Monday, July 2, 2012

Taking a Hint from Nature: Try to Live Simple


Jen Ismirle writes about a recent deer sighting she had at Fenner and what it taught her about trying to live each day a little bit simpler. 
I love to see animals in the wild, and that includes any animals. I could sit for hours and watch squirrels living out their normal day-to-day romping, climbing, and foraging. It wasn’t until recently that I happened to think about why this is.
I was walking around the trails at Fenner hoping to see any animals at all, and I stopped a few times to watch chipmunks rustling through the plants, or birds singing in the trees. But then, this sauntered across the trail in front of me and to the other side:
I was beyond excited to actually see a deer in the wild that wasn’t dashing in front of my car! She was calm too, just glancing my way every so often as she swished her tail and chewed the food she found. As she meandered further from me to the point that I couldn’t see her anymore, I still didn’t want to continue walking the trail and hoped that I might catch another glimpse of this creature.
As I thought about it, I realized that in that moment, the stress of the day had evaporated from my mind. When I was watching the deer, I wasn’t thinking about the work I still needed to do or the errands I needed to run or anything else. I simply enjoyed watching this animal that had one focus at that time: finding food.
Perhaps we can take a hint from nature sometimes and not let stress weigh us down so much that we might not enjoy the world around us, or something as simple as a really scrumptious meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment